Creamy Butternut Squash Pasta is one of my seasonal favorites––and I’m sure it’s going to be one of yours too! It’s warm, savory, and guaranteed to keep you cozy during windy days and chilly fall nights.
The best thing about this recipe is how simple it is. All you need to do for the sauce is to cook your ingredients in a large pot and blend! But please please please make sure to cool the pasta sauce down a before blending (Read the recipe notes!). We’re here to make some delicious pasta, not take unexpected trips to the ER!
Not only does butternut squash make this recipe creamy and delicious, but it also has AMAZING health benefits. It’s low in fat and rich in fiber, potassium, and vitamin A. It’ll help keep your digestive and immune system happy and healthy.
Combined with the squash, nutritional yeast adds a “cheesy” and nutty flavor to the pasta sauce. At up to 5 grams of protein a tablespoon, these golden flakes are a wonderful source of protein. They’re also high in fiber and vitamin B.
See, who said pasta had to be bad for you?
This recipe serves six, making it perfect for families or for leftovers! It’s fantastic to make for meal prepping or work lunches too. Just be warned, your coworkers might get a little jealous. 😉
To top everything off, I like to garnish my pasta with fresh thyme. I love thyme because it adds a gentle lemon and mint flavor. Some other great herb choices are sage, marjoram, and parsley.
I have to say, while I’m sad to see summer go, it’s impossible not to love autumn. If you’ve never been to Boston, I highly recommend you go during the season. The leaves are absolutely breathtaking!
Anyway, be sure to let me know what you think about this creamy butternut squash pasta in the comments below. Stay warm and happy fall!Print
Savory and hearty, this vegan butternut squash pasta garnished with fresh thyme is the perfect comfort food for chilly fall days.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 butternut squash, skin removed and chopped (about 5 cups)
- 1 medium brown onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups clear vegetable broth*
- 1 cup oat milk
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Salt and pepper
- A few sprigs of fresh thyme (or herb of choice)
- 14 oz / 397 grams pasta
- In a large pot, over medium heat, add your olive oil, onions, and squash. Cook for 10 minutes until the onions become caramelized and the squash starts to soften and brown. Stir regularly.
- Add the vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes until the squash is tender and the broth has reduced.
- Start cooking the pasta. Fill a large pot with water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil. Cook pasta of choice according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Back to the butternut squash mixture; add your oat milk and nutritional yeast. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool. Using an immersion blender (or a regular blender), blend creamy butternut squash mixrtue until smooth and creamy.
- Combine cooked pasta and your creamy butternut squash sauce in a pot, heat before serving. Garnish with fresh thyme. Serve and enjoy!
*Use vegetable broth that is clear, not tomato-based, as you want to retain the beautiful color and taste of the butternut squash!
** Please be very careful when blending the butternut squash mixture. It was recommended you allow the creamy butternut squash mixture cool before blending.
- Serving Size: Serves 6