Veggie burgers are one of favorite comfort foods, and this one has the added bonus of having nearly 30grams of protein from the tempeh and gabanzo beans!Print
- 1/2 cup green onions, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons ground chia seeds
- 1 can garbanzo beans (chick peas), drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 8 ounces / 225 grams tempeh, crumbled
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cooking oil spray
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1/2 large onion, sliced
- 1 cup lettuce or coleslaw
- 4 burger buns
- Condiments: tomato sauce, yellow mustard and/or vegan mayonnaise
- Spray a skillet with cooking oil. Over medium heat sauté green onions until soft, around 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Prepare chia eggs by mixing together ground chia with 5 tablespoons of water. Allow to thicken for five minutes.
- Transfer garbanzo beans to a blender, pulse until smooth. Add cooked green onions and garlic mixture, chia eggs and nutritional yeast. Pulse to mix.
- Add crumbled tempeh, bread crumbs, salt and pepper, then pulse a few times to mix (don’t over mix as you want some tempeh pieces).
- Using wet hands, form the veggie burger mixture into four burger patties.
- Add canola oil to skillet and cook burgers over medium heat until brown, about 4-5 minutes per side. Transfers veggie burgers to a plate.
- Add the bread rolls to skillet and heat through on each side, about 1-2 minutes per side.
- Top toasted burger buns with salad, burger patties and condiments of choice.
- Serving suggestion: Serve is homemade oven French fries.
- Nutritional information is to be used as a guide only as calories and nutrition vary between products and brands worldwide.
Keywords: tempeh,protein,burger,garbanzo beans,chick peas,rachel's fit kitchen,plant based,vegan,tasty,easy