Cheesy Tomato Soup (Vegan)
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 bowls of Cheesy Tomato Soup 1x
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 large can (28oz/795gram) crushed tomatoes
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
To serve (optional)
- Nutritional yeast
- Fresh basil
- Crusty bread
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions, carrots ands celery, sauté for 5 minutes. Add garlic, cook for a further 1 minute. Stir in basil and tomato paste, cook for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, vegetable broth, salt and pepper, increase heat and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Stir in nutritional yeast, then use an immersion blender or countertop blender to blend soup until smooth and creamy (please be very careful as the soup will still be hot!). Taste soup and adjust seasoning as needed.
Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with a sprinkle of nutritional yeast, fresh basil and plenty of toast! Enjoy 😀
- This Cheesy Tomato Soup freezes well, so store any leftovers in the freezer for quick healthy meals when needed!
Keywords: cheesy tomato soup, tomato, tomato basil soup, soup recipes, vegan soup recipes, vegan recipes, cheap healthy meals, cheap and healthy meals, cheap easy healthy meals, Rachel’s Fit Kitchen