Mac n Cheese – what’s not to love?
Don’t you just love Mac n Cheese? On a chilly night? Or maybe after a long day? Maybe you also enjoy it as a cheesy side at a BBQ? Well, here is a tasty vegan mac and cheese recipe that gives you all the comfort, but none of the guilt. And guess what else? This recipe comes with a twist – check out the way that roast beets make the cheese sauce pop! Macaroni and cheese doesn’t have to look bland. I mean, look at that bright pink chickpea pasta!
Do you wanna be a hero?
The hero of this dish is absolutely the creamy, delicious sauce. To start with, the sauce binds everything together. Mac n cheese should be creamy, but not runny. You want every mouthful to have the “bite” of macaroni and the “smoosh” of perfect cashew cheese.
In addition, the cheesy macaroni sauce is where all of the flavor lives! To begin with, we create some smooth, nutty cashew cheese to serve as a base. Next, we mix in plenty of nutritional yeast (or “nooch” if you like) to create that cheesy, savory flavor. Finally, don’t forget our good friends salt and pepper. By the time you’re done, you will forget this macaroni and cheese is vegan!
Make it POP!
Since you’re already cooking, why not go the extra mile with colorful roast beets? This addition really gives the mac n cheese sauce a “WOW” factor. We really love the bright pink POP that beets bring to a pasta dish. I guarantee that your guests will jump straight on it! Hopefully the kids will love it as well!
That beautiful pink also needs a complementary color to play off. We added baby kale, which adds some bright green and cuts through the richness of the mac n cheese just a little.
Did you realize this was healthy, too?
No matter who is eating this gorgeous vegan mac and cheese, they’ll be getting a lot of “bang for their bite”. We use chickpea pasta, which is rich in protein and also gluten free! In addition, the cashew cheese provides all sorts of healthy and satisfying fats. Last but not least, the nooch adds a biiiiiig dose of B-vitamins to every serving, so tuck in!
Now there’s nothing else for you to do but start cooking! Feel free to make a big batch of this cheesy beet pasta – because this baby can be made ahead of time and warmed up just when you need it. Enjoy!Print
Mac n Cheese with Roast Beets (Vegan + Gluten Free)
An easy, breezy, CHEESY vegan mac n cheese recipe. Cashew cheese, nutritional yeast, beets and kale combine to make a super healthy, super delicious meal!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes to 1 hour, 10 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes to 1 hour, 20 minutes (depending on method used to cook beets) + soaking time
- Yield: 6 servings of Mac n Cheese with Roast Beets 1x
- Add raw cashews to a small bowl, cover with water and soak overnight in the fridge. If you don’t have time to soak the raw cashews overnight, soak them while preparing the beets.
- Prepare beets (use one of the following options).
- Oven: Preheat oven to 375F / 190C. Wrap beets in foil and roast for 45 minutes or until tender. Set aside to cool.
- Microwave: Wrap beets in parchment paper and place in a bowl with a tiny splash water. Cook on high for 10 minutes or until beets are tender. Set aside to cool.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Keep warm in pot while preparing cashew cheese sauce.
- Transfer cooked beets, drained cashews, water, nutritional yeast, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, garlic powder and salt into a high powdered blender or food processor, and process until smooth and creamy. Taste and adjust seasoning, if needed.
- Pour beetroot cashew cheese sauce over the cooked chickpea pasta, then add baby kale/spinach, and stir well to combine. Enjoy 😀
- *Make this recipe quicker by preparing the beets ahead of time. Cooked beets will keep in the fridge for a couple of days without any issues. Alternatively, you could use store bought roast beets!
- Nutritional information is to be used as a guide only as calories and nutrition vary between products and brands worldwide. Nutrition facts are calculated without additional toppings.
Keywords: mac n cheese with roast beets, mac n cheese, mac n cheese vegan, mac n cheese vegan cashew, mac n cheese sauce, mac n cheese tasty, mac n cheese nutritional yeast, homemade cheese sauce for mac n cheese, beet recipes, beetroot recipes, Rachel’s Fit Kitchen
This post contains affiliate links, which means that Rachel’s Fit Kitchen will make a small commission if you purchase using these links. The price you pay as a consumer does not change. Rachel’s Fit Kitchen only recommends products that we know, trust and love!