Aren’t tacos just the best? And you know what? Tacos are for everyone! Here we show you the proof – a vegan taco that will go head to head with any other taco recipe out there. We’re going to load up these veggie tacos with tempeh, black beans, and all kind of flavors. Yummy!
Want a balanced diet? Try a taco in both hands!
We’ve always loved vegetarian tacos here at RFK. Growing up in Australia, taco “shells” were crunchy things that came out of a box . The same box contained some powdered “taco seasoning”, a little salsa, and suggested adding things like lettuce, tomato and beans. It wasn’t hard to make a vegan meal from these little taco kits, and we remember them fondly.
Our taco game never stopped improving, and now we enjoy these Mexican treasures with vegan fillings like tempeh, black beans and the freshest veggies. We also now know the joys of a soft corn tortilla – so much flavor, with none of the deep frying 😉!
Tempeh is a wonderful soy product that originates from Indonesia. Compared to tofu, tempeh has a firmer texture, making it a perfect meat substitute for vegan tacos. It has a nutty, savory flavor, but also soaks up everything around it. If you’ve never had tempeh before, then our vegan taco recipe is a great place to start.
Spices are the variety of life!
You can’t have a taco without spices! However, when you think spices, don’t just think “hot”. Our vegan tacos add flavor before the fire. We’re talking classic tastes like cumin, coriander and freshly ground black pepper. Now, if you’re already comfortable with the spices we use in this recipe, why not …
Taco walk on the wild side 😎
There are plenty of other spices that taste great in a vegan taco filling. For example, you could try a touch of cinnamon, allspice or clove. Or perhaps you want to use some fresh herbs? Cilantro, parsley and oregano all do a great job in a vegetarian taco.
It’s getting a little chili …
Now the fire comes in. We’re adding dried chili flakes and some fresh jalapeños, which provide some pleasant warmth. However,you can play around with all kinds of flavorsome chilis, like habaneros, poblanos or serranos. Remember, chilis aren’t just for adding heat – balanced correctly they add tons of flavor! Just the thing to punch up a vegan taco recipe.
Into the Frying Pan …
Your vegan tacos are almost ready. The next step is a quick trip to the skillet. Start by sauteing the onion, chili and spices (hint: if you added lots of chili, steer clear of those fumes 😉). After that, add tempeh and black beans to the taco filling and fry a little longer. If things start sticking, just add a splash of water. Finally, add the tomato, get everything simmering and let those flavors mingle for a few minutes.
It’s Time to Fold
So, you’ve made your filling, warmed your tortillas and you’re ready to go, huh? Not quite – what else are you going to put in there? We humbly suggest some delicious salsa and a dollop of tasty guacamole! Then just grab a tortilla and (say it with me) Fill it, Fold it, Eat it and Repeat it! Now that’s our kind of mantra 😆 … enjoy your vegetarian tacos!Print
Vegan Tacos with Tempeh and Black Beans (GF)
Delicious vegan tacos loaded with protein-rich tempeh and black beans. Just the thing for a summer meal or a spontaneous vegetarian Taco Tuesday!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 serves Tempeh and Black Bean taco filling 1x
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil (or oil of choice)
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeño peppers, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes (optional)
- 1 packet (8oz / 227grams) tempeh, finely chopped
- 1 small can (15.5oz / 439grams) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat, add onion, sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add jalapeño peppers, garlic, cumin, coriander and chili flakes, sauté for 2 minutes. Add a splash of water if the onions start to stick.
- Stir in tempeh and black beans, cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Divide taco filling between tortillas and serve with a combination of the following: salsa, pico de gallo, avocado, guacamole and salad. Enjoy!
Keywords: tempeh black bean tacos, tempeh tacos, black bean tacos, vegan tacos, vegan black bean tacos, healthy vegan meals, plant protein, plant powered, Rachel’s Fit Kitchen