Hazelnut Waffles (Vegan + Gluten-Free)
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 6 hazelnut waffles 1x
- 2 chia/flax eggs (made using 2 tablespoons of ground chia or flax seeds)
- 1 cup hazelnut meal*
- 1 cup oat flour*
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter, melted
- Cooking oil spray
To serve (optional)
- Vegan Hot Fudge Sauce (see recipe)
- Dry roasted hazelnuts
- Preheat waffle iron and prepare flax/chia eggs by mixing together ground flax/chia seeds with 6 tablespoons of water. Allow to thicken for five minutes.
- Into a medium size bowl add hazelnut meal, oat flour, baking powder, orange zest and salt, stir to combine.
- Add flax/chia eggs and melted vegan butter, mix until well combined.
- Spray waffle iron with cooking oil spray. Pour 1/4 to 1/3 cup hazelnut waffle batter into the waffle iron cavity.** Cook hazelnut waffles until golden brown on each side, around 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer waffle to a plate and repeat with remaining hazelnut waffle batter.
Enjoy hazelnut waffles warm with toppings of your choice… but vegan hot fudge sauce and roasted hazelnuts is highly recommended!
- *Make your own hazelnut meal by adding raw hazelnuts to a food processor or blender, and process for 15 seconds until the hazelnut meal represents cornmeal (keep processing time short otherwise you’ll end up with hazelnut butter!). Similarly, make your own oat flour by adding rolled oats to a food processor or blender, and process for about 45 to 60 seconds until the oats represent flour.
- **A 5-heart waffle iron was used to make these waffles, which requires 1/4 cup of hazelnut waffle batter. If you’re using a Belgium waffle iron, you may need to increase the amount of hazelnut batter to 1/3 cup. Adjust as necessary to suit the needs of your waffle iron.
- Nutrition facts are to be used as a guide only and are calculated without optional toppings.
Keywords: hazelnut waffles, hazelnut waffle, hazelnut meal waffles, hazelnut flour waffles, vegan waffles, gluten free waffles, hazelnut meal, oat flour, oat flour waffles, vegan, rachel’s fit kitchen