Cranberry Rosemary Scones (Vegan & Gluten-Free)
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 to 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 to 40 minutes
- Yield: 8 Cranberry Rosemary Scones 1x
- 2 chia/flax eggs (made using 2 tablespoons of ground chia or flax seeds)
- 1 3/4 cup gluten free baking flour + more for dusting*
- 1/3 cup organic raw sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons xanthan gum (optional)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 stick (110 grams or 1/2 cup) cold vegan butter, chopped
- 4 tablespoons plant milk (oat, almond or cashew milk works well)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 cup fresh cranberries, cut in half
- Preheat the oven to 400F/205C and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Prepare chia/flax eggs by mixing together ground chia or flax seeds with 6 tablespoons of water. Allow to thicken for five minutes.
- Place flour, sugar, baking powder, xanthan gum (if using) and salt into a large bowl, stir to combine.
- Add cold vegan butter and work into the flour mixture using your fingers until the mixture looks like bread crumbs. Add chia/flax eggs, plant milk and vanilla extract, stir to combine.
- Fold in fresh rosemary and cranberries, then turn dough out onto a flour dusted surface. Flatten dough carefully with your hands ensuring that the dough is about 1 inch / 2.5cms thick (if the dough is sticky, dust with a little gluten-free flour). Using a knife, divide dough into eight parts, then carefully form into eight round scones (the scones should be about 1 inch / 2.5cms thick and resemble hockey pucks). Transfer scones to the prepared baking tray.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until a wooden skewer inserted into the scone comes out clean. Allow to rest for 10 minutes.
Enjoy warm with a little vegan butter.
Keywords: cranberry rosemary scones, cranberry scones, fresh cranberry scones, vegan scones, gluten-free scones, vegan and gluten-free scones, tasty vegan, vegan baking, gluten-free baking, Rachel’s fit kitchen
Since you’re a fan of scones, you might like to also try our recipe for Blueberry Lemon & Lavender Scones (Vegan & Gluten-Free).