15 minute Pasta w/ Green Veggies & Spicy Lentils. A tasty, healthy, protein packed meal ready in no time!
This recipe is perfect for when you’ve had a busy day and just want to crash on the couch with a comforting meal… and this pasta also tastes amazing cold, so get your lunch containers ready to pack leftovers!
I can see your envious coworkers already.
For this recipe I decided to focus on upping my green veggie intake using asparagus, sugar snap peas, baby peas, spinach, kale and mint.
Quick cook these beautiful spring and summer green vegetables to retain crispness and color.
Give the canned lentils a spicy makeover with cumin and red chili flakes.
Mix it all up with al dente orecchiette (the perfect little shape to scoop up all the flavor) and you’ve got yourself the tastiest quick meal!
Let’s do this!
Get that water boiling, start your prep and you’ll be enjoying a plate of this seriously delicious pasta with green veggies and spicy lentils in just 15 minutes.Print
15 Minute Pasta w/ Green Veggies & Spicy Lentils
15 Minute Pasta w/ Green Veggies & Spicy Lentils! The perfect way to enjoy your favorite spring and summer greens (asparagus, peas, spinach, kale and mint) while getting protein from spicy lentils. Ready in just 15 minutes.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian inspired
- 12 ounces / 350 grams of orecchiette (or pasta of choice)
- 4 tablespoons garlic infused olive oil
- 15 ounces / 425 grams canned lentils, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 16 asparagus spears, trimmed and halved
- 1 cup sugar snap peas, halved
- 1 cup frozen baby peas
- Handful of spinach or baby kale
- 10 mint leaves, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil. Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Set your skillet over medium heat. Add oil, lentils, nutritional yeast and spices, and cook for 3 to 5 minutes until lentils are heated through.
- Add asparagus and sugar snap peas to the lentil mixture. Stir well and cook for another 2 minutes (cover skillet with a lid to trap the heat to help steam the asparagus and sugar snap peas6). If the mixture becomes dry, add up to 1/4 cup of water. Next, add the peas and spinach/baby kale and cook for a further 2 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Finally, add your green veggies and spicy lentil mixture to the cooked pasta. Sprinkle with mint and stir to combine.
- Before you prepare this meal, be sure to start boiling a large pot of salted water (water with a pinch of salt). Your 15 minutes starts when you pop in your pasta and start preparing the green veggies and lentils.
- Make sure you cook your vegetables quickly to help retain their vibrant color.
- This dish tastes great hot or cold, so take leftovers for lunch the next day.
- Recipe and styling inspired by recipe published in Savory Magazine, April 2018.
- Nutritional information is to be used as a guide only as calories and nutrition vary between products and brands worldwide.
Keywords: pasta, greens, lentils