Blueberry Lemon & Lavender Scones (Vegan & Gluten-Free)
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 to 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 to 40 minutes
- Yield: 8 Blueberry Lemon & Lavender Scones 1x
- 2 chia/flax eggs (made using 2 tablespoons of ground chia or flax seeds)
- 1 3/4 cup gluten free baking flour + more for dusting
- 1/3 cup organic raw sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons xanthan gum (optional)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 stick (4oz / 113 grams) cold vegan butter, chopped
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Zest of one lemon
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon culinary lavender + more for garnish
- 3/4 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup organic powdered sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 400F/205C and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Prepare chia/flax eggs by mixing together ground chia or flax seeds with 6 tablespoons of water. Allow to thicken for five minutes.
- Place flour, sugar, baking powder, xanthan gum (if using) and salt into a large bowl, stir to combine.
- Add cold vegan butter and work into the flour mixture using your fingers until the mixture looks like bread crumbs. Add chia eggs, almond milk, vanilla extract, lemon zest and lemon juice, stir to combine.
- Fold in lavender and blueberries then turn dough out onto a flour dusted surface. Bring dough together into a circle shape, about 1 inch / 2.5cms thick (if the dough is sticky, dust with a little gluten free flour). Cut the dough circle into eight wedges (like cutting a pizza) and transfer wedges to prepared baking tray.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until a wooden skewer inserted into the scone comes out clean. Allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- To make the lemon glaze, sift powdered sugar into a small bowl, add lemon juice and whisk until well combined.
- Drizzle the lemon glaze over warm scones and if desired, sprinkle with a little extra culinary lavender.
Keywords: blueberry lemon lavender scones, blueberry scones, blueberry scones, blueberry scones recipe, vegan scones, gluten-free scones, vegan and gluten-free scones, tasty vegan, vegan baking, gluten-free baking, Rachel’s fit kitchen
Since you’re a fan of scones, you might like to also try our recipe for Cranberry Rosemary Scones (Vegan & Gluten-Free).