One slice, or two? My guess is you’ll be coming back for more of this delicious gluten free Pomegranate & Pistachio Bread… because it’s just that tasty!
This treat is packed with lots of goodies, such as pistachios, walnuts, pumpkin pie spice, and cardamom… oh yesss!
Topped with lashing of icing (colored with beet powder) and loaded with pistachio, walnuts and pomegranate jewels – there is just so much deliciousness in each bite!
I don’t find this bread to be overly sweet which makes it perfect for snacking any time of the day, from breakfast to late night noshing (guilty as charged).
Ok, ok… I know the ingredients list is kind of long but don’t worry, because you’ll have this bread in the oven in no time, filling the kitchen with wonderful baking aromas. That’s a guarantee.Print
Pomegranate & Pistachio Bread
This gluten free Pomegranate & Pistachio Bread is a tasty treat packed pomegranate, pistachios, walnuts, squash/pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice, and cardamom. The perfect sweet treat for any time of the day!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes*
- Cook Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
- Yield: 1 loaf, 10 slices 1x
- Category: Baked Goods, Gluten Free
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup gluten free baking flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 3/4 cup organic caster sugar
- 3/4 cup pistachios, chopped + extra for garnish
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped + extra for garnish
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 cup cooked squash or pumpkin, mashed* (cold or room temperature)
- 3/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- Arils (seeds) from 1 pomegranate, divided
- 2 flax eggs (made using 2 tablespoons of ground flax seeds)
- 1/2 cup organic powdered sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon beet powder
- Preheat the oven to 350F/175C and line a 9″ x 5″ / 23cm x 13cm loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Prepare flax eggs by mixing together ground flax seeds with six tablespoons of water. Allow to thicken for five minutes.
- Add gluten flour, almond meal, oats, nuts, baking powder and spices to a large bowl, stir to combine.
- Place squash/pumpkin, oil, almond milk, 3/4 of the pomegranate seeds and chia eggs into a medium size bowl, mix well. Add to the flour mixture and stir to combine. Pour batter into prepared loaf tin.
- Bake for 1 1/4 hours or until a skewer inserted into the bread comes out clean. Allow to cool in the loaf pan for 30 minutes, then carefully turn out onto a cooling rack.
- To make the icing, sift powdered sugar and beet powder into a small bowl, add almond milk and whisk until well combined. Once the bread is cool, drizzle with icing and top with pomegranate seeds, pistachios and walnuts.
- Cut into bread into 10 slices and enjoy! Store slices in an airtight container for up to one week.
- To ensure you can prepare this recipe in 15 minutes, cook the squash/pumpkin a day or two before and store in the fridge until ready to use. The time required to cook the squash/pumpkin in not included in the preparation time listed above.
- *The squash that works best for this recipe is: acorn, butternut or spaghetti squash and the best pumpkin to use for this recipe is kabocha.
- Recipe and styling inspired by Pumpkin & Pomegranate Cake, Coles Australia.
Keywords: pomegranate, pistachios, walnuts, pumpkin pie spice, cardamom, gluten free