Veggie burgers are one of favorite comfort foods, and this one has the added bonus of having around 30grams of protein from the tempeh and gabanzo beans!
1-2 tbsp canola oil
8oz (225 grams) tempeh, crumbled
1 can garbanzo beans (chick peas), drained and rinsed
1/2 cup green onions (shallots), sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tbsp ground chia seeds
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
Salt and pepper
1 tomato, sliced
1/2 cup mixed lettuce
1/2 large onion, sliced
1 cup coleslaw made with vegan mayonnaise (optional)
4 burger buns
Condiments: tomato sauce, yellow mustard and/or vegan mayonnaise
1. Spray a skillet with cooking oil. Over medium heat sauté green onions until soft, around 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
2. Prepare chia eggs by mixing together ground chia with 5 tbsp water. Allow to thicken for five minutes.
3. Transfer garbanzo beans to a blender, pulse until smooth. Add cooked green onions and garlic mixture, chia eggs, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper. Pulse to mix.
4. Add crumbled tempeh and pulse a few times to mix (don’t over mix as you want some tempeh bits).
5. Using wet hands, form the veggie burger mixture into four burger patties.
6. Add canola oil to skillet and cook burgers over medium heat until brown, about 3-4 minutes per side. Transfers veggie burgers to a plate
7. Add the bread rolls to skillet and heat through on each side, about 1-2 minutes per side.
8. Top toasted burger buns with salad, burger patties and condiments of choice.
Makes 4 burgers. Serve with french fries