This is my mum’s banana and walnut muffin recipe!
My mum, who is a naturopath in Australia, has been baking a batch of these muffins every week for years. Sometimes she’ll go a little wild and use pecans, almonds, nutmeg or allspice… but banana, walnut and cinnamon is our favorite combination 😀
The muffins will keep in the refrigerator for a few day or you can pop them in the freezer. These muffins defrost really well, which means you’ll always have healthy sweet treat to accompany your morning coffee.
3 spotty bananas, mashed
2 tbsp ground chia seeds
2 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 cup coconut sugar
1/4 cup vegan butter, melted
1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp ground Dutch cinnamon
1 1/2 cups almond meal
1/2 cup gluten free flour
1/2 cup walnut pieces
1. Preheat the oven to 350F/175C.
2. Prepare chia eggs by mixing together ground chia with 5 tbsp water. Allow to thicken for five minutes.
3. Combine baking soda and lemon juice, stir well.
4. Into a large bowl add lemon mixture, mashed banana, chia eggs, sugar, vegan butter, almond milk and vanilla extract. Mix well.
5. Add remaining ingredients to wet mixture. Stir well.
6. Spoon muffin mixture into a greased muffin pan. Top muffins with banana slices.
7. Bake for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into a muffin comes out clean.
Allow to cool for a few minutes before eating. Enjoy!
Makes 12 muffins